This recipe for Hot Hamburger Sandwiches was inspired by a meal my husband used to enjoy as a child growing up. If you are watching what you’re eating, turn away now! This recipe is what I like to call true Northern Ontario winter cooking, the kind of meal that will stick to your ribs and keep you warm at night. Bless my mother-in-law when she came up with this creation.
A hot hamburger sandwich, which as the name implies, is a hamburger patty that is nestled between two pieces of bread and is then drowned in gravy. I’ve been known to leave off the top slice of bread, trying to be a little more calorie conscience. For this recreation I decided to add some cheese on top of the hamburger, pouring gravy over so it melts then topping it with the second slice of bread.
This makes a super fast meal, especially if you have some leftover hamburgers from a previous meal. Leftovers recreated! Of course when the hubby is in the mood, I always have frozen homemade hamburger patties in the freezer I can cook some patties up fresh. Serve with a side of fries, (yes, I know you’re dying over there) smother those in gravy too, or just go all out and make them into a poutine, why not right? You’re already committed.
This is the types of meal you’d see Guy Fieri bite into as he travels across the US in Diner’s, Drive In’s & Dives. Full of flavor but quick and easy.
Hot Hamburger Sandwiches
- 4 hamburger patties , cooked (rewarmed if lefterovers)
- 2 cups shredded mozza cheese , or other preferred cheese
- 1 can gravy (or 1 ½ cups of your preferred homemade gravy)
- 8 slices of bread
For the assembly: Place a slice of bread down on the plate. Then place your hamburger on the bread. Top your burger with ½ cup shredded cheese. Spoon a little gravy over top of the cheese just to get it to melt a bit. Top the entire thing with the second slice of bread. Spoon additional gravy on top of the bread so it’s liberally coated.
Do you want to learn more about Meal Planning?
Come learn about our new e-book 30 Days of Meal Planning: Tips & Strategies for Saving you Time & Money
- Help you plan healthy, easy meals your family will enjoy
- Share tips on how you can save money on groceries
- Show you how to reduce your monthly grocery budget
- Share strategies to make your grocery trip take less time and be less stressful
- Learn how to get your family involved to help you with the meal planning
- 10 templates to help with your meal planning
- 6 weeks of meal plans to get you started!