The idea for this tower of chicken quesadilla bake is inspired by something I saw on Pinterest during one of my many binges. My family loves chicken quesadillas. What’s not to love really – chicken, cheese, salsa…some toppings. It’s a great way to use up that leftover chicken from the night before or enjoy that rotisserie chicken from Costco. Really, you get a fully cooked chicken for the same price as a raw chicken (sometimes it’s even cheaper). Plus I don’t need to season it or pay for electricity to cook it? Not to mention the time it takes to cook it. Sign.Me.Up!
I have a repertoire of recipes that require cooked (or leftover) chicken. A precooked rotisserie chicken makes life so much easier. Half the work is already done for you. I especially love using a rotisserie chicken for my BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizzas, Chicken Salad Sandwiches and especially my Chicken Enchiladas Rice Casserole.
This chicken quesadilla bake is a spin on my family’s favorite easy recipe, chicken quesadillas. I will often make this easy dinner meal often so we can use up leftover chicken whether it comes in the form of chicken breasts or a full roasted chicken. I always have the ingredients on hand. Usually when I make chicken quesadillas everyone eats in waves as I have to make them one at a time. My daughter is fed first, then my son, my husband and finally myself. By the time I make it to the table, my husband is taking his last few bites and the kids are long gone again. Not that I mind, but I do try keep dinner the one time of the day the family meets up together.
This chicken quesadilla bake solves this problem by making dinner for everyone at the same time. The down side is this recipe does make quite a bit. This dish will easily feed 6 people and the leftovers are never as good as when it’s first made.
- 3 or 4 – 10” fajita wraps
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup salsa, drained
- 1 can (127ml) green chilies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Lettuce, chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Green onions
- Black olives
- Pickled jalapeños
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spray a 10” spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Lay a fajita wrap on the bottom of the spring form pan. Spoon some of the green chilies onto the fajita, spreading it with the back of the spoon.
- Place your salsa in a sieve to drain most of the liquid out of the salsa. Add a layer of salsa on top of the fajita then a layer of shredded chicken, about 1 cup. Sprinkle all some shredded cheese overtop of all this yumminess.
- Lay another fajita wrap down and repeat the process with the chilies, salsa, chicken and cheese until your run out of chicken.
- Reserve enough cheese (or use additional cheese) for the top fajita wrap. You will only be putting cheese on top of your tower of quesadilla.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Place under the broiler for a few minutes if you would like a crispy top.
- Remove the quesadilla from the spring form pan, transferring it to a cutting board or other cutting surface and cut into wedges to serve. Top with desired toppings: chopped lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, and jalapenos.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!