This recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs came from my mom’s special little red cook book. Growing up, my mother had a little red book where her favorite recipes were neatly hand written. I would always get so excited when she reached for this book as I knew something delicious was about to be made in the kitchen. Most of the recipes were recipes that were passed down from her mother. Recipes had to be pretty good to make it into this book. Before I moved out, I started my own book and painstakingly wrote out my favorite recipes from the book – so I basically rewrote the entire book out again. Favorites like my mom’s no-bake cheese cake, bean salad, 7-layer nacho dip and of course this Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipe you make in the slow cooker.
This recipe has gone down in history as one of the best Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipes among my friends and colleagues. I have a Red Seal Chef friend that even asked for this recipe. It’s one of my staple food item at parties and potlucks, most recently at my Wine & Cheese Party. This recipe accompanied other star party foods like my four cheese spinach dip, pico de gallo and crostini with ricotta and goat cheese. So much goodness on one table, it was sinful. I LOVE delicious food! Make sure you check out my complete menu and planning tips from my Wine and Cheese Party coming soon!
Did I mention how easy it is to make these slow cooker sweet and sour meatballs? The reason why it’s always my staple party food item is I put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and by the time the party starts, the meatballs are ready to eat. I previously posted my recipe for my Homemade meatballs in my post for Slow Cooker Meatballs: Meatball Subs. If you’re not interested in making your own meatballs, grab a bag of frozen pre-cooked meatballs from the grocery store. (Just make sure to reduce the cooking time if you use pre-cooked meatballs) Yup. That easy.
- 1 recipe Homemade meatballs (or a box of pre-cooked from grocery store*)
- 6 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ cup Vinegar
- 6 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- ¼ tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp Garlic salt
- ¼ tsp Dry mustard
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- Mix all the ingredients except the cornstarch, together in a bowl. Recipe can be doubled or quadrupled based on the number of meatballs you put in your slow cooker.
- Place your frozen meatballs in the slow cooker. Pour sauce overtop of the meatballs until they are covered. You made need to double or triple the recipe depending on the number of meatballs you are cooking.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. If you are able, stir the meatballs around during the cooking process.
- Just before you are ready to serve, transfer about a cup of the sauce to a separate bowl. Add the cornstarch to this sauce and whisk until well incorporated**. Pour this mixture back into the slow cooker and stir until the sauce thickens.
- * if you are using a box of pre-cooked meatballs from the grocery store, adjust the cooking time as you do not need to cook as long
- **this method helps prevent your sauce from clumping