This Peppermint Flourless Chocolate Cake is out of this WORLD!! It’s minty. It’s fudgey. And it’s also gluten free. Oh yeah, and there’s Kahlua. I originally made this cake for a dear friend’s birthday. Let me just say, it was a huge hit. I don’t know what made her happier… this chocolate cake or the red wine I brought with the cake. With all the “mmmmm’s” I heard around the table from the ladies, I knew I had found a winner.
Fast forward a few busy months, I had made a few attempts to make my Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe again so I could share it here but to no avail. Life happens. UNTIL. Oh, that magical trip to the LCBO (liquor store) and I discovered Kahlua had released a new seasonal holiday version of their liquor: peppermint mocha!! I swear, the clouds parted to let the sunshine pour through and I heard singing as I approached the display. In fact, it was only a light being turned on and the singing was coming from the kids outside. Regardless. I knew it as a sign and I had to buy a bottle.
Oh what to do, what to do. My immediate thoughts were to add it to hot chocolate. Of course. Maybe milk? Peppermint White Russians? Somewhere between the display of this delicious Peppermint Mocha Kahlua and the cash register, it hit me! Peppermint Flourless Chocolate Cake. Peppermint and chocolate are such a perfect holiday combination. Just look at my Double Chocolate Mint cookies! Only my all time favorite cookie ever. Well, let`s just say, this cake was baked up within hours of my returning home with the bottle of Kahlua. How’s that for some motivation.
My co-workers happily devoured this Peppermint Flourless Chocolate cake the following day. Even my dear celiac co-worker could be seen gleefully skipping down the halls asking everyone “Did you try the cake? It’s gluten free!” The poor girl is always left out when people bring goodies into the office. I think she even went back for a second piece! Totally made my day seeing her so happy and enjoying cake!
Note: This is not a sponsored post, I just really enjoyed my delicious bottle of Kahlua.
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Peppermint Mocha Kahlua
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Crushed candy canes, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9” spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Wrap the spring form pan tightly with foil.
- Over a double boiler, combine the chocolate chips, butter and Kahlua. Stir until the chocolate and butter is melted and well combined with the Kahlua. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in a bowl and beat to stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites into and fold them into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake batter into the prepared spring form pan.
- Place the pan in a deep oven proof basin and pour a kettle full of boiling water in the basin so it comes up half way up the spring form pan.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the edges of the cake are just beginning to set. Remove from the water pan and cool on a cooling rack. Cover and place the cake in the fridge overnight.
- Take the cake out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar. Top with crushed candy canes.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!