This Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet is a delicious healthy dinner recipe that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. My family says this dish tastes like tacos in a bowl with all the lovely seasonings. I like it because it’s packed full of vegetables that can be enjoyed year round.
I’m feeling a little reminisce of summer right now. I miss my vegetable garden. I enjoyed going out into my garden each day to see what would make it to my dinner table that night. Luckily, I have yet to open a can of vegetables, my family is still enjoying the frozen vegetables I stockpiled last summer. Correction. I did open a can of peas a while back and I was mortified by how they tasted. Oh summer, hurry up and get here!
My husband built me some garden boxes last summer so it was the first time I was truly successful at growing vegetables. My previous attempts at an in ground garden didn’t go so well. I’m told I have too much clay. But I was determined to grown my own vegetables last year so dear hubby set me up. My determination was renewed by a cookbook I purchased that pushed me along on my homesteading initiative. If you have any intention on preserving, I highly recommend buying a copy of Batch by Joel MacCharles and Dana Harrison. I read that book cover to cover like a textbook. It’s packed full of useful information if you want to learn how to preserve food.
The older I get, the more I want to be a pioneer woman. HA!! The last 12 months have seen me quadruple my mason jar collection, stock my freezer full of fresh from the garden (or farm) vegetables and even buy my first quarter cow. Let me tell you, I am NEVER going back. I love composting and recycling and it’s my personal challenge each week to decrease the amount of garbage that goes to the landfill site each week. The only thing holding me back from getting my own chickens are these silly city by-laws. Guess we’re going to have to move.
As you can tell, I’m a bit passionate about this subject. This Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet incorporates many of my newly found passions. While I know it’s January, zucchini is so readily available this time of the year at the grocery store. And its still a lot cheaper then a head of broccoli or cauliflower let me tell ya.
This recipe is especially handy to have when your garden is producing massive quantities of zucchini and you just don’t know what else to do with them. You know what I’m talking about. Even people without gardens cringe when they see me approach them with zucchini because they already have 3 sitting on their counter from their co-worker, hairdresser and the nice old lady down the street. A person can only eat so much zucchini.
So whether it’s the middle of summer and you’re combating the pile of zucchini’s or it’s the middle of winter and you’re looking for a quick, easy healthy dinner, your family is going to love this Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet recipe. Serve it along side quinoa, couscous or rice to stretch the meal a bit if you like. Leftovers are just as delicious the next day. The heat of this dish can be adjusted by adding a pinch of chili peppers if you’re looking for some extra zing.
I am so excited to have my Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet as part of a Canadian Food Creatives round up!! A group of some pretty amazing Canadian Food Bloggers all got together to share some delicious healthy dinners this month. Led by the lovely Melanie from The Refreshanista, we’ve come up with 12 Healthy Weeknight Dinners. Make sure you check them out (and make sure you save all of them to your Pinterest collection for those busy weeknights.)
- Roasted Tomato Pasta Dinner by A Pretty Life Blog
- Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by I Say Nomato
- Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- One Pot Chicken, Barley and Veg by My Kitchen Love
- Parmesan Polenta with Poached Egg and Spinach by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Chicken and Chickpea Stew by Imagelicious
- Lentil Tacos by Cocoa Bean,The Vegetable
- Lighter Mac n Cheese by Fuchsia Freezer
- One Pan Baked Salmon and Roasted Veggies by She Bakes Here
- Steamed Rice with Red Curry Coconut Squash by Sugar Love Spices
- Citrus + Soy Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Killing Thyme
- Tofu Fajitas with Guacamole Crema by The Refreshanista
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini sliced and quartered
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (or 2 large fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a frying pan over medium heat. Drain the mixture if there is a lot of leftover grease from the hamburger.
- Add in the garlic, salt and pepper to taste, cook for an additional minute or so.
- Add in the can of tomatoes with juices and spices. Stir to combine.
- Add in the chopped zucchini and red pepper.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes until the zucchini and peppers are cooked, but still firm.
- Serve with quinoa, couscous or rice if you like.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!