Over the last 12 months our family has been introduced to the pleasure of cooking with cast iron. We’ve also struggled with keeping it clean. Here are a few other things I’ve learned:
- DO NOT use soap in your cast iron pans
- DO NOT let your pan soak, wash it right away
- DO NOT let it air dry, put it back on top of your stove top or inside a warm oven to help dry it
- DO use salt with a sponge as an abrasive cleaner
- DO wipe with oil (and a paper towel) after its clean
And whatever you do, DO NOT, please, please, please… EVER put your cast iron pan in the dishwasher. (my poor teen aged son I guess didn’t know… ) but let me assure you, it will be a lesson he (should hopefully) never forget. But thanks for the brand new cast iron pan son.
Here is a great video from PureWow on how you should clean your pan. One suggestion I read in the comments over and over again was to make sure you use super HOT water when rinsing out your pan if it’s still hot. Cold tap water will eventually make your pan crack.
If you’re looking to restore old cast iron, check out I Believe I can Fry for a complete tutorial.
Do you have any tips or suggestions for cleaning your cast iron pans?