Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Goat Cheese & Pesto are really quite extraordinary. They are like Michelangelo in the art world. Or Tchaikovsky in the music world. I feel anytime you combine goat cheese and pesto together you get a flavor combination so amazing it leaves a lasting impression and it needs to be celebrated.
Ok, so maybe I’m going a little overboard on comparing Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Goat Cheese & Pesto to Michelangelo and Tchaikovsky but I seriously feel these sandwiches are in a class of their own. If I have company coming for lunch and I aim to impress, you better believe I’m going to be serving these flavourful sandwiches.
Have you ever gone on a picnic? A true picnic where you pack a basket full of food, bring a blanket and find some beautiful place to spend the day? I haven’t. Not yet. It’s on my bucket list. How simple of a thing to do, right? I think I’m romanticizing the idea a bit more then what it has to be. I picture myself bringing a big blanket and finding a quiet place. I can’t decide if it would be under a big tree somewhere or on a sandy beach on a warm spring day. Which would you choose?
In my wicker basket I would pack these delicious Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Goat Cheese & Pesto and have a bottle of chilled white wine or a rosé. Yes! Definitely a rosé. Maybe some delicious cheeses, meats and fresh fruit. Oh, and strawberry trifles in a mason jar. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Watching the fluffy white clouds in the sky as I sip my sparkling rosé. Doesn’t THAT sound extraordinary?
Well a girl can dream anyhow, right? Maybe I’ll be able to make this dream become a reality this summer. If I find that perfect tree or sandy beach (where kids are not racing all over the place throwing up sand everywhere). Until then, I’ll close my eyes and escape into my little dream world all while enjoying my grilled vegetable sandwich.
- 2 zucchini, cut thin diagonally
- 2 red peppers (or other colour)
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced thin
- 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- ½ cup pesto
- 4 ciabatta buns (or other bread of your choosing)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Prepare all the vegetables and lay them out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet with raised edges. The vegetables can also be cooked on the grill.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until vegetables are just turning tender. Try not to over cook them, as they will become mushy.
- Remove the tray of vegetables from the oven to cool slightly.
- Cut the ciabatta buns in half and toast under the broiler in your oven.
- Spread the goat cheese on the toasted buns, and then add the pesto sauce.
- Layer your grilled vegetables on the bun and top with the other side of the bun.
- If you have a Panini press, I highly recommend using it to make the cheese all warm and ooey gooey.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!