It was so hard choosing what I wanted for my birthday but this fruit pizza with a sugar cookie crust, cream cheese icing and fresh fruit was the one that took the prize. When I started looking for a recipe to try, my first stop was over at Liv for Cake but honestly, how can someone choose between cakes like these??? And since I was the one baking it, I was looking for something quick and simple – it is my birthday after all. However, these 3 beautiful cakes made it to the top of the list and will be making an appearance in my kitchen at some point in the near future. YUM!!!
I loved that I was able to cook the sugar cookie crust the day before (so I didn’t have to do it ON my birthday) and I assembled it in the afternoon before my company came for dinner. My daughter even made one. I do believe more fruit ended up in her belly then on her fruit pizza, but I can think of worse things to happen.
Everyone has his or her favorite sugar cookie recipe. I used mine for this fruit pizza. I used a disposable pizza pan from the dollar store to help form my crust but you could make what ever shape you like! I’m thinking little personal sized circle cookies would be fun. If you want to get really creative, a heart shaped fruit pizza decorated with strawberries for Valentine’s Day??? Oh, the possibilities!
As these fruit pizzas are made with sugar cookie dough, the crusts would freeze up beautifully! When you’re ready to have fruit pizza, take them out, defrost them and top them with the cream cheese icing and fresh fruit. I would just be careful about stacking stuff on top of the crust and breaking it. At least it’s guaranteed to still taste good however if something horrible were to happen.
This is probably one of the first birthday cakes our family ate with our hands. I literally cut the fruit pizza up into wedges, like a pizza and served it up. The light and fluffy cream cheese icing with fresh fruit made this the perfect summer dessert. I can attest to the sugar cookie crust not getting soggy from the icing for up to 24 hours after making it. That’s as long as it lasted. Sorry. I’m sure it will be good for a couple of days, kept in the fridge. But really, I would be shocked if it lasts that long!
I decided on using a variety of fresh fruit to put on top to make it extra pretty and colorful. What would be your favorite fruit to serve on top??
- ¾ cup Butter, softened
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teas Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Assortment of fresh fruit, cut
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl. Add egg and vanilla. Beat.
- Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Stir into batter.
- Spray a circular cookie sheet (pizza pan) with non-stick spray and press the dough into the pan. Try to level it out best you can – using your hands, rolling pin or bottle of wine. What ever works best for you. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the edges turn a golden brown and the crust is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. Crust can be wrapped with plastic wrap and stored on the fridge or on the counter overnight.
- Whip the cream cheese, vanilla extract, sugar and cinnamon until until well combined. Slowly add in the whipping cream and beat until your icing is light and fluffy. Spoon your icing over top of your sugar cookie crust, leveling with the back of the spoon.
- Decorate the fruit pizza with your choice of fresh fruit. Store in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!