I just can’t get enough of this Flourless Chocolate Cake. Neither can my honey. This rich and decadent chocolate cake resembles a mousse cake. Top it with whipped cream, fresh fruit or simply with a dusting of powdered sugar. You’re going to love this easy chocolate cake that will satisfy their sweet tooth cravings without all the extra carbs of a traditional cake.
Do you have plans for Valentine’s Day yet? My hubby and I usually keep it pretty low key on Valentine’s Day. The restaurants are always so busy and finding a babysitter on a work night tends to be a challenge. Instead we stay home and have a fun dinner in with the kids. One year we had a cheese fondue, another year heart shaped pizzas. The kids love the fun Valentine’s Day meals I come up with just as much as the adults. I think everyone will enjoy this Flourless Chocolate Cake.
Hubby and I also like to keep things on the frugal side. I made him promise years ago to NEVER buy me roses around Valentine’s Day. I think they mark up their prices 300% around that special day. Besides, he knows I prefer tulips anyhow – the ones that come planted in a pot so I can transplant the bulbs into my garden in the spring. The best kind of flower bouquet you can give me is the kind that keeps coming back year after year.
Last year I made my husband a fun little DIY Valentines Day Gift – a deck of cards decorated with 52 Things I Love About Him. Ok, call me cheesy but I thought it would be a fun gift for him to keep so he’ll always be reminded how special he is to me. Each card had a different reason for why I loved him. Some of my things were:
- I love going on road trips with you
- I love that you’re my best friend
- I love listening to you read Alysha bedtime stories
- I love playing board games with you
- I love the way you make me laugh
- I love that you know when I need a hot chocolate to cheer me up
- I love sitting at the lake having campfires together
You get the idea. I sat down and brainstormed some ideas. Before I knew it I had more then 52 reasons I needed.
Since my husband is so sweet to me, I love going out of my way to do special things for him. Not just on Valentine’s Day but every day. I know how much he loves chocolate so I’m making him this amazing Flourless Chocolate Cake. He hasn’t stop talking about it since the first time I made it for my girlfriend’s birthday. Still working on the details for the rest of the meal but at least dessert is planned and that’s the best part, am I right?
What are you doing with that special someone this Valentine’s Day?
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9” spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Wrap the spring form pan tightly with foil.
- Over a double boiler, combine the chocolate chips, butter and Kahlua. Stir until the chocolate and butter is melted and well combined with the Kahlua. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in a bowl and beat to stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites into and fold them into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake batter into the prepared spring form pan.
- Place the pan in a deep oven proof basin and pour a kettle full of boiling water in the basin so it comes up half way up the spring form pan.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the edges of the cake are just beginning to set. Remove from the water pan and cool on a cooling rack. Cover and place the cake in the fridge overnight.
- Take the cake out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar. Top with fresh raspberries or other fresh fruit.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!