This recipe for Chicken Florentine Casserole was too long in coming. It’s easy dinner recipe includes tender chicken breasts smothered in a creamy white sauce with spinach and mushrooms that make it a perfect pair with your choice of pasta. The crispy crumbled bacon and melted mozzarella cheese on top seals the deal for this mouthwatering meal.
I love Chicken Florentine Casserole for its incredible creamy white sauce. The sauce makes this dish rich enough to serve to dinner guests or for that special date night. I really should have served this recipe for Valentine’s Day earlier this week but hubby wanted his meat pie. I was more than happy to oblige. Besides, it’s not the food you eat sometimes, but the company you enjoy the food with! I even believe the company you enjoy your meal with can make a meal taste even better. Or is it just me?
My hubby and I have always enjoyed our road trips together. Hubby is always very accommodating about how our trips tend to take on a quest for delicious food. I remember one year packing an overnight travel bag for hubby and I and hiding it in the trunk of the car telling him we were going on an adventure. It was a birthday surprise. I blindfolded him before he got in the car and drove around the city a bit to get him confused about the direction we were heading. We pulled off onto this dirt road just off Highway 69 where I let him take off his blind fold.
I handed him a box of items I had carefully selected for him to guess our destination. The box included some poker chips, a card with a hotel reservation number, a money clip with some money and some other items we could enjoy on our road trip. He quickly came to the conclusion that we were heading to Casino Rama for an evening of black jack and slots. A delicious meal at a local Italian Eatery was also part of the plan. This was the first time I enjoyed Chicken Florentine.
Years (wow, decades!) later we still enjoy hopping in the car and seeking out new adventures. It can be as simple has finding a farmer’s market on the side of the road and buying a HUGE flat of fresh strawberries…
Or walking the streets of Niagara on the Lake, checking out all the lovely shops along the street and driving along the shoreline of Lake Ontario.
Our entourage has increased in numbers over the years but I still enjoy our road trip adventures. There’s a reason our reliable Honda CR-V has over 290,000 kms on it. We’ve had some amazing escapades.
There are many meals that bring me back to a time and place. Sharing a delicious meal like this chicken florentine casserole with my hubby is one I look forward to reliving over and over.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts – halved
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (or ¾ cup bacon bits)
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until tender. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Transfer the mushrooms and spinach to the casserole dish.
- Place the sliced chicken breasts over top of the spinach.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the lemon juice, can of soup, half and half and parmesan cheese until well combined. Add basil, oregano and salt.
- Pour the sauce overtop of the chicken. Cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove the foil and sprinkle bacon pieces on top of the sauce, then the cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is crispy. Use the broiler if you would like extra crispy cheese.
- While chicken is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta as per package instructions. Serve the chicken along side pasta.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!