Hello BBQ Chicken flatbread pizza, good bye boring old pepperoni pizza! I love my family. Really I do, but sometimes they have boring taste preferences. I’m definitely more adventurous in the flavor department. There are so many amazing pizza toppings to play with; it’s time to switch it up a bit.
Mini personal size pizzas are one of my favorite things to make for the family. I can customize the toppings for each person. Everyone has their personal tastes and with individual pizzas, I can make sure everyone gets exactly what they want.
So here’s my game plan: I hit up Costco for their gigantic package of naan bread. If you don’t have access to a Costco, the greek style pocketless pitas work beautifully as well. Or personal sized pizza crusts. You can get really creative here. Fajita wraps even work as a pizza crust, especially if you’re watching your carb intake. It may sound funny, but it works. Just be prepared to eat your pizza with a fork and knife.
While you’re at Costco, walk over to the cheese section and grab one of their big bags of shredded mozza cheese. Can you tell I’m lazy? Or efficient. Efficient is much more accurate. (wink) Don’t look at the block of mozzarella cheese beside the shredded cheese. It’s only a dollar less (unless it’s on sale) and I think you’re time is worth spending the extra dollar. Don’t you?
Now you can start planning how you want to top your pizzas. If you want to make this amazing BBQ Chicken Flatbread recipe, make sure you grab a rotisserie chicken while you’re there.
If you have people in your family that are not so adventurous in the flavour department, buy some cans of pizza sauce and pepperoni so you can make them happy too. You don’t have to stick with just pepperoni however: green pepper, mushrooms, red pepper, red onions, feta cheese, olive, cooked bacon, chunks of ham… You could set up an entire pizza topping buffet and let the family make their own before baking them up in the oven. (I’ve done this for birthday parties before, HUGE hit!!)
Here’s the beauty part: you know how you just bought enough naan breads and mozzarella cheese to feed an army? Or maybe 4 teenage boys… but unless you are feeding 4 teenage boys, here’s what you’re going to do with all the extras. While you’re making your pizzas for supper, you’re going to be making some extra ones. These extra pizzas are going to go into the freezer. Say, for those extra teenage boys that show up for dinner or lunch when you least expect them, or after you’ve had a really long, hard day at work and making dinner is the last thing on your mind… you can cook the pizzas straight from frozen! 20 minutes from freezer to table. How’s that for a super simple and easy freezer meal recipe?
If you plan on making all your naan breads into BBQ Chicken Flatbread pizzas, you’re going to need to grab an extra rotisserie chicken.
I assembled all my pizzas on cookie sheets and put them straight into the freezer. I made some pepperoni and some BBQ chicken flatbreads. I also made some pesto caprese pizzas. (I’ll be sharing that recipe with you soon.) After an hour or two, when the pizzas were frozen, I took them out, wrapped them tightly in plastic food wrap and placed them in ziplock freezer bags. Back into the freezer they go until that day when you need a quick and delicious meal. Which just so happened to be 2 days later when my son showed up at the back door with his friends around lunch time.
- 4 naan breads
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce, divided (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s original)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cup red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheese, shredded (I recommend mozzarella)
- This is only a guideline; this recipe can be modified to suit your preferences.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Lay your naan breads on a cookie sheet. You may need to use 2 depending on the size of your cookie sheet.
- Place shredded chicken in a bowl and mix with ½ cup of BBQ sauce. Add additional sauce if you wish.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce onto each of the flat breads and spread around with the back of a spoon. Try to cover as much of the bread as possible.
- Layer the shredded chicken on top of the naan breads, distributing about ½ cup of chicken on each of the breads.
- Top with the thinly sliced red pepper and red onion.
- Sprinkle about ½ cup of shredded cheese on each flatbread pizza.
- Bake your BBQ Chicken Flatbreads in the oven for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Crust should also be crispy on the bottom.
Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. The price you pay does NOT change, but I do earn a small commission for your purchase. Thanks in advance for supporting 365 Days of Easy Recipes!