As I mentioned in my post for chunky guacamole with tomatoes, I prepared a delicious oven baked chicken Fajitas for a Fiesta Party. Well, it was just a regular dinner with friends but there was so much yumminess going on at the table it felt like we were celebrating and gave our dinner a name.
I loved how easily these oven baked chicken fajitas came together. I can even see this recipe working well as a freezer meal. I sliced up 4 boneless skinless and marinated the chicken for 4 hours. I sliced up peppers and onions and set them aside until I was ready to put everything in the oven. So easy! Just make sure when you’re cooking the chicken it’s all in one flat layer on the baking sheet otherwise it will take a long time to cook.
The fun part with these oven baked chicken fajitas was all the toppings we made to go with them. You can keep it simple with jarred salsa, sour cream, chopped green onions and cheese or you can go a little wild in the kitchen and make some guacamole, pico de gallo, and even some Mexican rice. Don’t forget to serve up some margaritas like these Raspberry Margaritas from She Eats. You can’t have a Fiesta Party without margaritas. Ole!
This would also be an excellent dish to serve a large crowd. You can set up a fajita bar with all the toppings then double or quadruple the chicken, peppers and onions. People can then serve themselves and top their fajitas with whatever yumminess they choose.
Did I mention the extras also make tasty leftovers whether they are wrapped in fajita wraps or served on a bed of rice. This would also be a great way to make this dish gluten free – either replace the fajita wraps with gluten free wraps or serve the filling on rice instead.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced thin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 peppers, any color, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 10 small fajita wraps
- Assortment of toppings: (see comments above)
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin slices. Combine the ingredients for the marinate in a large Ziploc bag and add chicken. Shake the bag to coat the chicken well. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake your fajita filling, line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Make sure the baking sheet has a lip on it so the juices don’t run off in your oven. Line the chicken pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Scatter the sliced peppers and sliced onion on top of the chicken pieces.
- Bake the chicken in a 400 F oven for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon the chicken mixture onto fajita wraps and add your choice toppings.