Let’s just say this chicken parmesan was VERY well received at the dinner table. My son was wolfing his food down so quickly, I had to remind him to breathe. I knew my husband had a love for chicken parm but not my son. He enjoyed the meal so much, he gave me a pat on the back and said “Nice job mom”. You would think I’ve never made him a good meal before. I was shocked when my husband gave me a 10 out of 10, without my asking him for a rating. (I’ve been asking for a rating on each new recipe so I can get a feel for how much he really likes it.
So the inspiration for this recipe came from a cooking class a good friend of mine attended. They didn’t actually include any measurements so these are the ones I came up with. Feel free to mix it up. One thing I will continue to do is add the parmesan cheese into the egg mixture. There are so many different methods to make chicken parmesan, I will definitely be using this one again. Probably for our Anniversary dinner or some other special in-house date night. (Brownie points for me)
I set up my breading station so everything was ready to go. I would suggest you bread all the chicken and lay it out on a plate or cookie sheet until you are ready to cook it. Otherwise be ready to move quickly and watch the heat of the frying pan so you don’t burn the chicken. I found the chicken cooked quickly.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- Dish #1 - 1 cup of flour
- Dish #2 - 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk & 1/4 cup parmesan cheese - scramble together
- Dish #3 - 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs, 1 tbsp dried basil, 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pasta (like spaghetti)
- Preheat the oven to 425 and heat a frying pan on medium low heat.
- Set up your breading station and coat heated pan with olive oil.
- Flatten your chicken breasts using your preferred method. I like to use two pieces of parchment paper (one on the bottom, one on top) and flatten the chicken by banging with a rolling pin. A bottle of wine also works well. 😉
- After chicken is flattened, season with salt and pepper. Working one piece at a time, coat chicken in flour, dip in the egg mixture then press into bread crumbs. Make sure chicken is evenly coated. Place in frying pan, cooking on both sides until golden brown.
- Pull chicken from frying pan and place on cookie sheet and continue cooking in the oven.
- Meanwhile, cook your choice pasta and heat marinara sauce.
- When the chicken is cooked, spoon marinara sauce over chicken pieces and top with mozzarella cheese - shredded or sliced. Place chicken back in oven for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly, or under broiler. Serve chicken with a side of pasta and enjoy!