Let’s take a pillowy soft loaf of bread, slather it with garlic infused butter and olive oil then add ooey gooey melty cheese. Now for good measure, let’s top all that with bacon!! How does that sound?? Do I have you drooling yet? I am. Let me introduce you to my Cheesy Pull Apart Garlic Bread with Bacon. Some people call it crack bread and I totally understand why.
This party appetizer was so good, I made one for one my Christmas parties then again as a Friday night snack for the family… just because. It was the holidays. If I’m going to put on 10 lbs over the holidays, I’m going to make it worth it. This Cheesy Pull Apart Garlic Bread with Bacon is a warm and gooey treat that doesn’t have to be limited to just parties. If you are hosting a spaghetti dinner, you could make this crack bread instead of the traditional garlic bread.
The best part of this Cheesy Pull Apart Garlic Bread with Bacon recipe is you can play around with the ingredients and customize it to what you have on hand or what your family likes. I used cheddar cheese but you could use mozzarella, provolone – anything that gets a little (or a alot) stringing when you bake it in the oven. I’ve also seen versions that add fresh herbs like parsley to the garlicy butter and olive oil mixture. My husband is not a fan so I omitted the herbs.
The bacon was totally an after thought but oh what a brilliant thought it was! I keep extra crumbled bacon on hand in the freezer for home made pizza night, to top my potato bacon soup or for any other reason I may need a sprinkle of bacon bits. I take a pound of bacon and slice it up into small pieces and cook it in a frying pan until crispy. Drain the extra fat off the bacon, let it cool down and store it in the freezer in a ziplock bag until I need it. It makes life so much easier if I have bacon pre-cooked and ready to go if I need just a little bit instead of having to cook some up every time.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sour dough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, sliced or shredded
- ½ package pre-cooked, crumbled bacon (about 8 slices)
- Finely mince the garlic.
- Melt butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and mince garlic. Add a pinch of salt and allow garlic to cook for about 2 minutes. This will infuse the olive oil and butter with flavor. Do not over cook the garlic. The garlic should not turn brown.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the bread into slices but don’t cut all the way through the bread. Rotate your loaf of bread and cut in the opposite direction essentially creating cubes.
- Place your cut bread on top of a sheet of foil.
- Drizzle the olive oil, butter and garlic mixture in between the cuts in the bread.
- Take your sliced or shredded cheese and place them in between the cuts. Do the same with your crumbled bacon.
- Wrap the bread in the foil, covering with a second piece on top.
- Place the foil wrapped loaf on a baking sheet (optional) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove the top piece of foil during the last 5 minutes to toast the top of the bread.
- Remove from the oven and serve while bread is still warm.
Linked up at AKA Design link party!