Welcome to day #3 for the 12 Days of Easy Christmas Cookies! I decided to share some my family’s favorite traditional cookie recipes like Thimble Cookies (aka Bird’s Nests) and Shortbread, and also try out some new recipes like Eggnog Snickerdoodles and Hugs & Kisses Cookies. If you’re not already signed up to receive email updates, might I suggest you do? You don’t want to miss out! You can also follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!
But wait a minute, can I even call this a recipe? With only two ingredients.. well, technically 3 (sprinkles? Would that be considered an ingredient?) and there’s not even any baking involved. This is easily the EASIEST cookie recipe on this count down but so yummy and pretty! These chocolate covered oreo cookies would be one of those recipes you reach for when your kid tells you 9:00 at night he needs to bring something for the school bake sale or class potluck the next day. You know what I’m talking about, we’ve all been there, right? It will be all right. Just grab those oreos and start melting chocolate. I’m going to start stashing a package of oreos at the back of the pantry just for those times.
These chocolate covered oreo cookies were inspired by a box of Candy Cane flavoured oreo cookies a fellow food blogger found at her local Sobey’s. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find the Candy Cane flavoured cookies but I did find mint and birthday confetti flavoured. For the holiday season, I thought the mint would be perfect! (I’m still watching for candy cane flavoured however… can you imagine how pretty and tasty those would be with a little crushed candy cane on top??)
Of course there’s something about mint and chocolate together, they are honestly like a match made in Heaven. You have to love how Christie’s releases seasonally flavoured cookies so you could use this simple and easy technique any time of year, use holiday themed sprinkles and have a lovely plate of treats no matter what the occasion.
- 2 cups of milk chocolate chips (depending on how thick a coating you put on)
- 1 bag of oreos
- Melt your chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a pot of gently simmering water. Make sure the glass bowl is not touching the water. Alternately, you can melt your chocolate in the microwave.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and open your bag of oreos.
- Using a fork and butter knife, place the cookie in the melted chocolate and coat completely in chocolate. Lift the cookie out of the chocolate with your fork and tap the fork against the side of the bowl so the excess chocolate drips off the cookie, unless you want a really thick coating of chocolate on your cookie. Using the butter knife, gently slide the chocolate covered cookie off your fork onto the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle your sprinkles over top the cookie and allow to set. You can speed up the process by placing the cookie sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes. And you’re done!
Linked up at AKA Designs!