The first time I made this Four Cheese Spinach Dip as a party appetizer I remember it clearly. I was Christmas day and I had family over for dinner. I put it out on the table telling people it was hot and let it cool down a bit. I don’t even think it was there 15 minutes before it was completely devoured. I never even got to taste it!! I did have many requests for the recipe that day however.
Luckily I had friends over just a few days later so I had an excuse to make my four cheese spinach dip again. I couldn’t believe it. Again… it was devoured in minutes, only this time I was first in line to taste it. (What a rude hostess I am… the appetizer showed up on the table with a big scoop missing)
What I love about my Four Cheese Spinach Dip is you can keep everything on hand and put it together with a few hours notice. You can also make it a day ahead of time but it does NOT freeze well IMO. (cream cheese base)
Frozen spinach is a staple item in my freezer. When I enter the holiday season I’ll buy green onions and a red pepper and freeze them in portion sizes just for this recipe so when I need to make a party appetizer everything is ready to go. I also always keep my parmesan cheese and Romano cheese in the freezer, lasts longer that way.
I don’t know if you’re anything like me, but I keep cream cheese by the bricks in my fridge as I use them for EVERYTHING, especially around the holiday season. Cream cheese is perfect for your favourite quick appetizer, great to toss together a quick rose sauce for cheese cappelletti or sinfully in a cream cheese icing on dessert.
But if there is any advice I can share, make this first for yourself to sample. You know, for educational purposes so you don’t miss out.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/2 cup (scant – not packed at all) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon (not packed) freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon (rounded) very finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onion (scallion) white and green finely chopped
- 1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup grated medium cheddar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix first 4 ingredients with hand or stand mixer on medium until softened and well mixed.
- Add next two ingredients and mix on med-low until just incorporated.
- Add spinach and mix on low until just incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a small ovenproof dish and sprinkling cayenne on top to taste. Top with cheddar.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until bubbling around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 – 7 minutes before serving.
Serve this dip with nacho chips, pita chips, crackers… your guests are going to love it.