This fresh bean salad recipe brings me back to my childhood whenever I eat it. My mother used to make this salad when the beans in her garden became plentiful and we were looking for any and every possible way to eat fresh beans.
I love how this salad comes together so quickly and easily and lasts all week… if it lasts all week. This fresh bean salad recipe is best if you can give the flavours in the dressing a bit of time to blend together and the vegetables a bit of time to get tender from the dressing. At the very least, I’d say 4 hours but you’ll notice how much better it tastes after 12 hours, or even the next day!
You can pack little containers of this yummy salad in your lunch or serve along side your dinner. This makes an excellent dish to bring to a potluck dinner or to serve as a side dish at your BBQ.
The fresh bean salad recipe calls for a can of kidney beans but I’ve also tossed in cans of chick peas or mixed beans before. You really can’t go wrong!
- 1 lb of fresh beans, green and/or yellow
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup red pepper?, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion?, sliced thin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Par-boil the beans until tender crisp. Cool in an ice bath.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked beans, kidney beans, red peppers, onions and any other type of canned beans you wish.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate small bowl. ?Pour the dressing over the ingredients. The dressing recipe can be doubled to completely cover the beans.
- Cover and chill in the fridge.