These bacon cheeseburger calzones make a fantastic grab’n go dinner and are perfect in lunches for the kids. What I’m loving most about my self imposed challenge for this blog is it’s forcing me to break outside my “cooking comfort zone” and I’m trying the recipes I’ve always thought looked good but I’ll admit, intimidated me. I’m finding out that the recipes are really not that hard. All it takes is a little prep work, making sure I have all the ingredients and the time to prepare the dish.
I’ll definitely be making more calzones. Not only was it super easy, this recipe for bacon cheeseburger calzones was rather cheap to make since I made the pizza dough recipe from scratch. The calzones ended up be rather large, so my daughter and I shared one with a side of salad. The extra ones got packed up and my son took them to school in his lunch. I was THRILLED!! So was my teenage son. I already have plans to make more pizza calzones and stuff them with some other fun fillings to make for his lunches. I’ll just make a few batches of dough and stock my freezer with bacon cheeseburger calzones. In my world, if I’m going to make one batch of a recipe, it’s just as easy to me 2 or 3. or 10… J
These bacon cheeseburger calzones also freeze very well for up to 3 months. After you’re done cooking the calzones, allow them to cool completely on the cookie sheet. Place the calzones in a single layer in the freezer. Once frozen, layer the calzones between parchment paper and store them in a container. When you’re ready to serve, thaw them over night in the refrigerator. Bake in a 350 F oven for 25 minutes until heated through.
- 2 pkgs prepared pizza dough (or one pizza dough recipe)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- If you are making your pizza dough, allow it to rise. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large frying pan, cook the ground beef and onions together over medium heat. Drain any excess fat from the pan. Add in the cooked bacon, shredded cheese, ketchup, mustard and relish. Stir until well combined.
- Divide pizza dough up so there are 6 portions total. Roll each piece of dough into circles approximately 7 inchs in diameter. Divide the filling between each of the dough sections, placing filling to one side of the circle. Fold the dough over filling and crimp the edges to seal.
- Cut a few slits on the top of the calzones. Place the calzones on the lined cookie sheet.
- In a small dish, mix the egg and 1 tbsp of water to create an egg wash. Brush this mixture over the calzone and sprinkle the sesame seeds overtop of the egg wash.
- Cook the calzones in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a golden brown. Allow to cool a bit before serving.