What do you get when you take my family’s favourite chicken enchiladas recipe and make it into a one-dish recipe? This Chicken Enchiladas Rice Casserole dish!! This make ahead freezer meal can utilize leftover chicken and rice. I completely cut out the fussy mess of stuffing tortillas, and went straight for the good stuff. Using low fat versions of the soup, sour cream and cheese will also help cut some calories to make this into a healthy meal without skimping on the flavour.
Cream of chicken soup, in my opinion, is one of the best canned foods invented. I’ve used it for a number of different recipes, including in the slow cooker for my Chicken Stroganoff. Combine this with chilies, green onion and cheddar cheese and you’ve got a wonderfully flavored meal without too much spice. You can kick up the heat by adding some chili peppers to the water when you make the rice.
You can adjust the amount of rice you add to this casserole depending on how many people you are feeding and how much you are trying to stretch your dollar. I liked the fact I could take 2-3 chicken breasts and stretch it to feed my family for dinner AND get leftovers for lunches. (love frugal recipes) This is also a great way to use up that leftover roast chicken. Not to mention you can divide up the recipe and freeze a portion for another day.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 can Green chiles, diced
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 3 cups Cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ up milk
- 6 portions of cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onion until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic powder, then stir in the can of green chiles, cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Mix well. Add the chicken, 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese and milk. Stir together. Heat until cheese melted.
- Combine the rice and cheesy chicken mixture. Transfer to the baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Heat in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Serve with a side of leafy green salad.