If anyone else reading this is from Northern Ontario (Canada), you’ll understand my overwhelming need to feel the sun’s warmth outside and my highly anticipated desire to BBQ. (yes, it’s -35 C out there again!) Perhaps that’s why I’m gravitating towards delicious summer time foods. My soul is craving the warmer weather. Perhaps you don’t feel the same way but potato salad has always been a favourite side dish for BBQs or the ideal potluck dish.
Today, I tried a new recipe. I tend to like the old fashion, traditional recipes. Not to say there are not some fantastic new recipes that will make my taste buds explode (please share with me below if you have a favourite!), but I always seem drawn to the traditional style recipes with mayo. This one caught me in a sweet spot because I absolutely LOVE pickles and dill and anything that falls within those categories. Funny how all those dill “weeds” I used to yank from my grandmother’s garden have found such a special spot in my heart. 😉
- 5 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 8 medium sized new potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tbsp dill weed)
- 1/2 cup diced pickles
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- Chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Cook in large pot over medium heat , under cooking slightly so they are not too mushy.
- While the potatoes are cooking, boil the eggs in a pot. Place eggs in a single layer in a pot and put enough water until eggs are just covered. Bring to a boil over high heat. When the water starts to boil, remove the pot from the heat and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid. Set a timer to cook until desired doneness. I cooked my eggs for 10 minutes for this salad. The yolk was completely cooked but not over cooked.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika and celery seed. Pour over cooked potatoes and stir until potatoes are well covered. Gently fold in chopped eggs, pickles, green onions and celery in with the potatoes. Sprinkle additional paprika on to of salad for presentation.